Stephen Haas, PE – Vice President, Senior Transportation Engineer & Roadway Historian
1. What drew you to Hoyle Tanner?
I have always had an interest in roads and roadway design. At my last two companies we didn’t do enough of this work. My boss (who was leaving the company) suggested that the people and the work (I-93 at the time) at Hoyle Tanner would be a good fit for me. He was right!
2. What’s something invaluable you’ve learned here?
It’s all about people. Regardless of what you’re working on, being surrounded by good people who can support you will carry you through and help you keep a positive attitude.
3. What’s your favorite time of year to work at Hoyle Tanner & why?
Christmas time obviously. I enjoy the decorations, and the cold weather means there are more people in the office.
4. What’s the coolest thing you are working on & why?
Roundabout design (Conway and Rochester, New Hampshire). As a traffic engineer, I have an interest in intersections and traffic flow so I have always wanted to design one of these alternate improvements. They are safe, too!
5. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you so far this week?
Getting to spend extra time with family over a long holiday weekend (Memorial Day weekend).
6. How many different states have you lived in?
Three (Illinois, Massachusetts, New Hampshire)
7. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life what would it be?
Sandwiches, I’m a pretty simple man.
8. What kind of pet do you have & how did you choose to name it?
A cat, Ari. My wife and I were watching “Entourage,” with “Ari Gold” the agent. My wife suggested that Ari, which means lion in Hebrew, made sense. It is fitting, as he is an aggressive kitty.
9. What is a fun or interesting fact about your hometown?
Stratham is the US headquarters for Lindt Chocolates. We can smell it when the wind is right.
10. What are three things still left on your bucket list?
- Visit the Pyramids or Mayan Ruins
- Own a beach house
- Road trip across the US
11. Name three items you’d take with you to a desert island.
- Plenty of heavy metal music
- Beer, beer, beer
- My wife (she made me say that)
12. What characteristic do you admire most in others?
13. How old is the oldest item in your closet?
My blanket from when I was a kid. (Is that embarrassing? Thanks, Mom).
14. Words to live by? Favorite quote? Why?
“Whatever you do, do it well.” – Walt Disney
15. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
A construction worker (I am in the same field at least).
16. If you were to skydive from an airplane what would you think about on the way down?
“Wow, this really looks like Google Earth.” (I am obsessed with maps and aerial photos.)