The Swing Bridge lies in the hub of the Milford Community and center of an area known as the “Oval” that is registered as a Historic District by the state. The present structure is a 200′ long pedestrian suspension type built as the successor to two earlier versions. It was built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of Connecticut in 1889 at the height of the Victorian era, which is evident through the bridge’s elaborate iron work and details. At that time, the Swing Bridge was serving working woman and men access to the cotton, woolen and furniture mills. Nowadays this structure is used far more for recreation and access to hiking and biking trails to the east and the heart of Milford’s shopping district to the west.
Hoyle Tanner personnel performed an in-depth inspection and prepared an Inspection and Condition Rating Report for the Swing Bridge. The inspection findings were used to develop repair recommendations and an annual maintenance plan to prevent further deterioration of the bridge. Budgetary cost was also provided to the Town for the rehabilitation project.
- Final Design
- Condition Assessment
- NBIS Bridge Inspection
- Report Preparation
From the blog
Learn about ongoing projects and the innovative processes we employ for our clients.